Telephone: 01349 852131
Solicitors & Estate Agents
Wilsons privacy notice
What we need
Wilsons will be a "controller" of the personal information that you provide to us when you engage us to act on your behalf
When you become a client of Wilsons, we will collect, store and use the personal information that you provide to us in your instructions and during the course of our solicitor / client relationship. We may ask you for additional personal information during the course of our client / solicitor relationship, which shall be collected, stored and used in accordance with this privacy notice.
Why we need your personal information – contractual purposes
We need to collect our clients' personal information so that we can provide legal services to you. We will use our clients' personal information to:
• provide you with legal advice, including by, for example, communicating with you by email, letter and/or telephone;
• represent you as your solicitors in connection with legal proceedings;
• respond to and communicate with clients regarding your questions, comments, support needs or complaints, concerns or allegations in relation to complaints and disciplinary procedures, for example, we will use your personal information to investigate your complaint, take disciplinary action, and
• attending to the legal matters undertaken by us on your behalf.
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information that we need to collect then this may affect our ability to provide you with legal advice and / or represent you as your solicitors.
Why we need your personal information – legitimate purposes
Individual clients' personal data:
Where we process your personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests, you have the right to object to us using your personal information for the above purposes. If you wish to object to any of the above processing, please contact us on 01349 852131. However, if we comply with your objection, this may affect our ability to undertake the tasks above for the benefit of you as a client.
Why we need your personal information – legal obligations
We are under a legal obligation to process certain personal information relating to our clients for the purposes of complying with our obligations under:
• the Law Society of Scotland Regulations;
• Anti-money laundering regulations and requirements and
• any other applicable legal requirements.
Who we share your personal information with
We may be required to share personal information with statutory or regulatory authorities and organisations to comply with statutory obligations. Such organisations include for example – the Law Society of Scotland and HMRC, for the purpose of compliance with statutory requirements.
We may also share personal data with our professional advisors for the purposes of taking advice.
In the event that we do share personal data with external third parties, we will only share such personal data strictly required for the specific purposes and take reasonable steps to ensure that recipients shall only process the disclosed personal data in accordance with those purposes.
How we protect your personal information
Your personal information is stored on our paper system and on our electronic filing system and our servers based in the UK and is accessed by our staff for the purposes set out above.
How long we keep your personal information
We shall only retain your personal information as a client for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. We shall review and possibly delete your personal information following a period of at least 5 years after you have ceased to be our client and in accordance with the Law Society of Scotland guidelines and statutory requirements.
IP addresses and cookies
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information for measurement purposes. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual and we will not collect personal information in this way.
We may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive. They help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. They enable us:
You can exercise any of the following rights by writing to us at 107 High Street, Invergordon IV18 0AB.
Your rights in relation to your personal information are:
• you have a right to request access to the personal information that we hold about you by making a "subject access request";
• if you believe that any of your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, you have a right to request that we correct or complete your personal information;
• you have a right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information for specific purposes; and
• if you wish us to delete your personal information, you may request that we do so.
Any requests received by Wilson will be considered under applicable data protection legislation. If you remain dissatisfied, you have a right to raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office at www.ico.org.uk